Thursday, November 24, 2016

November 2016 Day 24


nano-and-nablo-banner

No NaNo word count yet, too many things going on this morning. Cooking, watching TV…drinking. YES, THERE…I ADMIT IT! I am aiming to get a little tipsy by this evening, logging into one of my RP Games, and doing some RP writing. I have taken most of the month away from my characters and their respective significant others, so now they all deserve to be let out of the box and enjoy a day with their loved ones. I know, I’m weird. My characters in my RP worlds are precious to me.


So, on to todays BlogHer prompt:
 Nov. 24: Have you ever rage-quit a job?


Yes, I have rage quit one job. I would do it again, as well.


You see, I used to work as a night auditor for a hotel in the local area. My daughter was only 4 at the time. These people would abuse the fact that I needed money (which subsequently all went into someone to keep my daughter for me).


Here is what my typical schedule would look like.
Day 1
11pm – 7am
3pm- 11pm

Day 2
7am-3pm
11pm-7am


Sometimes, I didn’t even get hours off between shifts. I would work one drastically long shift from 11pm to 3pm. BUT…these people would not give me 40 hours a week, so no overtime, and no benefits. Just me, exhausted. Did I mention I was only making minimum wage as well?


So my boiling point came at the holidays. They knew I was a single mom. All other employees were much old; their kids lived half way across the country and had no grant plans for holiday events.


Not a single person would volunteer to take my shifts so I could be with my daughter, or even just have a decent break and catch my breath.


So, I didn’t exactly rage out. I sent a letter to corporate, and that same morning, I gave a sort of nasty note to management and my fellow employees telling them all to enjoy rushing to cover my shifts because I quit. When management came in, read the note, they panicked, and I smiled and walked out the door, never to go back.


I got on with a new job shortly after that left me working with ideal hours. M-F, 8am-5pm.


So, only one job really got under my skin. And I rectified that. Do I feel bad? Hell no. That place was toxic for me at that time in my life, and my daughter needed me more.


Well, you all have a great holiday weekend! Watch out for the Black Friday Sales or do like me and order all the things online and drink all the alcohol!

No comments:

Post a Comment