Friday, March 20, 2015

Spotlight: Author Ella Drayton

ella

I'm super stoked to have Ella on board. All hail us small town Alabama girls!!!
About Ella Drayton
Writer. Book Critic. Mother. Animal Lover. Twitter addict. Insomniac.
Ella is from a very small town in Alabama. When she is not day dreaming about her next story she spend most of her time caring for a Tiny Tyrant and her furry best friend, Mutt. Her house and her electronics are cluttered with books she’s read, books she’s reading, and books to be read. She also pretends to be a housewife in her spare time, occasionally cooking and cleaning for a wonderful husband who never complains. Writing and reading are her two biggest passions other than pretending to be a T-Rex princess pony that can only eat pink Starburst with her little one. Ella also uses movie quotes and song lyrics constantly in conversation and freaks out/passes out at the sight of slugs.

And now on to my 'Zoe's Ten Questions':
10 Questions, Zoe style...

1. What is your writing process?
It all depends on my mood and where I am when the writing mood strikes. Often times I write on my laptop while I sit on the couch or at my desk but for some stories I like to use good old-fashioned pen and paper. Or the backs of receipts if I’m out somewhere and I think of something.

2. What do you read for pleasure?
A little of everything. Lately it’s been whatever shows up in my mailbox from Goodreads giveaways!

3. What is the greatest joy of writing/blogging for you?
This may not make sense to anyone else but when you become a stay-at-home mother, you can very easily lose yourself and your identity in being a mother and a housewife and trying to keep your daily life in order. While I wouldn’t give up being a stay-at-home mom for anything in the world, writing and blogging gives me a chance to connect with that part of myself that doesn’t see the light of day much.

4. Can you tell us a little about yourself?
First and foremost, I’m a mother. After that I’m a writer, a painter, a sewing enthusiast, and hobby jewelry designer. I love reality TV (I know it’s all staged), animals, trivia games, and Twitter. My husband and I spend a lot of time challenging each other at trivia games (I’m usually the winner) and making silly bets (that I also usually win). I’m terrified of slugs and I am happy to say that I have successfully overcome severe social anxiety and OCD. And I also really love My Little Pony but I will never admit that to my Tiny Tyrant.

5. What are your strengths and weaknesses when it comes down to sitting down and writing?
Good question! I would say my strengths would be in my ability to write a good portion of a story in a short period of time. Once I’ve started writing it doesn’t take much for me to continue the story. My weakness is how easily distracted I can be.

6. Do you have any strange writing habits?
If I use paper and pen, the paper has to be college-rule lined, I have to leave the very last line of the page blank, and I have to write on both sides of the paper. I also prefer ball point pens to gel pens because I often end up smearing the ink all over myself and the pages when I use gel pens. Those are the only strange things I can think of.

7. What is your least favorite part of the publishing / writing/blogging process?
Scheduling. I’m not a planner by nature. And for most of my life I’ve been perfecting the art of procrastination. I do think that blogging has helped me learn how to make and adhere to a set schedule but there is a little part of me that still doesn’t really like it. Sometimes I want the ability to say “Oh, I think I’ll do this today instead” or “Oh, I just don’t think I’ll do this at all.”

8. Are you a person who makes their bed in the morning, or do you not see much point?
If I’m trying to earn some brownie points with my hubby for something (new books, bookshelves, craft supplies, etc) then I might make the bed in the morning but usually it gets made right before we get in it because my husband cannot sleep in an unmade bed.

9. Where is one place you want to visit that you haven't been before?
I can only pick one place??? Italy. Between the food, the scenery, and the good-looking men (that I’m strictly admiring from afar), I’m sure it’s an amazing place to visit.

10. Choose: Vampires, Werewolves, Demons or Zombies?
From what I have seen in movies and books, zombies seem to be easier to kill than the other three so I’m going with zombies.

Bonus Question: How prepared are you for the Zombie Apocalypse I've ordered?
I’m actually lining up treadmills around my house in between questions so I should be adequately prepared by the time you get these answers. Unless I run out of Brownie Brittle and then I’m just going to have to be brave and take my chances on a run to the store.

The Letters, by Ella Drayton
The Letters

Brodie Barrett is a widowed mother of a 10 year old girl and a homicide detective for the Birmingham Police Department. Everything seems fine in her world until her ex-fiancé, Keaton Maddox walks back into her life. She's ready to start a new life with Keaton but he's also got a pregnant girlfriend working at his restaurant. Things at work start heating up for Brodie when someone decides to send her love letters at work. These aren't your ordinary love letters, though! These letters leave clues for Brodie to find bodies of her admirer's victims. Who could be sending these letters and why do they want Brodie to find the bodies?

Thank you so much to Ella, keep rocking that small town Alabama living, I know I am!

No comments:

Post a Comment