Friday, February 6, 2015

Spotlight - Gerald Freeman

I dont believe
(Click image for direct to buy)

This week we welcome Gerald Freeman into the Spotlight.

Gerald Freeman is English and lives in Portugal with his wife and two dogs, where he writes and creates sculptures that reflect his time spent on the planet. He has traveled extensively and he believes that by sharing our experiences we make each other stronger. His main goal with both his creative outlets is to inspire people to follow their dreams and not settle for anything less than they truly desire. I Don’t Believe God Wrote The Bible is the second book in a series of memoirs called Get A Life.
Book Summary: After a near-fatal drug overdose in the late 1980s, Gerry Freeman leaves England in search of a better life and spiritual awakening. While hitchhiking around the South of France, he and his friend Jan meet an eclectic mix of carefree hippies, dashing celebrities, and kind-hearted strangers.
Wine and parties abound—on the streets and beaches, wherever they find themselves—but the good times often come at the price of begging and having to steal food to survive.
Past mental and physical abuse haunts Gerry, but he begins to realize happiness is a choice. Sometimes it takes a journey that spans lazing on the beaches of the French Riviera, harvesting grapes in the serene hills of wine country, and washing dishes at a ski resort in the Alps to learn answers that lurked inside all along. Anyone can start caring again.
Now, on to my questions!! :D
10 Questions, Zoe style…
1. What is your writing process?
My writing process has been ongoing for thirty years. Since I left home at fifteen and went traveling I have been noting down thoughts and experiences along the way, knowing that one day I would be settled enough to actually put them all together and write some books. That time came when I hit forty and got married, finding myself happy, secure and a little bored of living back in society I began to write my books.
2. What do you read for pleasure?
I very rarely read fiction for pleasure anymore. I like real life, or books based on true events. Philosophical books are also something that interests me, I like to see how other people think and hopefully find someone I who agrees with the way I think, at least in part.
3. What is the greatest joy of writing/blogging for you?
The greatest joy and satisfaction comes from knowing someone has read one of my books and it has actually changed the way they think about something, or even educated them about an aspect of life they are unfamiliar with. A great example of this was from my first book Kill daddy http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FQQBV2O/ , which takes place in Africa, living with Rastas. At least two readers said they would never look at people with dreadlocks in the same light again, and would start to try and understand people instead of immediately judging them-Punks and Goths included!
4. Can you tell us a little about yourself?
I left home at fifteen and went traveling around the world in search of new experiences and a life which appealed to me. Nothing I had been shown in school inspired me and quite frankly I had no idea how to fill up all my time on the planet. As soon as I’d left the constraints of a not very caring family, I discovered the enormity of the world and my philosophy and way of thinking changed completely. I gladly discovered that there could never be enough years in a life to do all the things I wanted to do. I also found out that I did not have to get a boring job I didn’t like and become an economical slave for the rest of my life. I have become a writer, part time teacher and a sculptor, all things I dreamed of doing- I look back on my life, I am forty-eight, satisfied, or rather, ecstatic that I’ve followed my heart and realized as many of my dreams as possible.
5. What are your strengths and weaknesses when it comes down to sitting down and writing?
My strengths would be that I never run out of things to say and that I have taken on board everything I have learnt in my first year of being a published author, so as to make this book the absolute best it can be. Weaknesses would have to be that I drink too much and smoke too much, drugs and alcohol were my crutches for many years as I couldn’t shake off some of the horrible memories from my childhood. Ironically, it is now that I have completed this book that I have actually stopped, and it is now just the dreaded nicotine sticks I have left to vanquish.
6. Do you have any strange writing habits?
Well, I don’t write standing on my head, or while I’m jogging, so I guess not. I do all the usual from writing on the bus, train, in restaurants, caf├ęs and bars. Borrowing pens whenever the need strikes from complete strangers and running out of a room mid conversation to grab a piece of paper to write something down are all things normal writers do, I think.
7. What is your least favorite part of the publishing / writing/blogging process?
I don’t have a least favorite part, I have actually enjoyed every step of the way-if I had to say one thing it would be the lack of money to be able to market my books fully and gain the exposure publishing houses can afford.
8. Are you a person who makes their bed in the morning, or do you not see much point?
Absolutely, although my wife gets up after me, so she usually does it. I have to have order in my house, I am a little Feng Shui in that sense. My mind and my subconscious feels more relaxed when the house is clean and clear from confusion. However, my writing room is organized chaos.
9. Where is one place you want to visit that you haven’t been before?
I would love to go to Canada and visit the forests and lakes, maybe find a werewolf or two. The vastness and the sense of space there would be exhilarating for me and I’d like to rent a house and go fishing in the lakes every day for six months or more. Also boating and water skiing, the list goes on- Canada is my dream destination.
10. Choose: Vampires, Werewolves, Demons or Zombies?
Definitely werewolves because I love animals and am quite a pagan at heart!
Where to find Gerald?
Geralds other work can be found here…
Geralds 
(Click image for direct to buy)

Trauma from the past becomes a part of who you are. It weighs down on the present, suffocating life and preventing you from healing and moving on. If you continue to carry this baggage around long enough, you will eventually become who you are not. Believe in the essential goodness of your true self, however, and you will accept the past, but let go of the burden and finally become the real you. This is the story of one man’s struggle to accept the past and move on before it destroys everything he is and could ever hope to be. In desperation Gerry flees society to save his sanity and ends up in the remote villages of East Africa. Midst the poverty, he encounters hope and more love than he could imagine. Will it be enough to save him? Can he repair the damage done to him in his childhood or will his abusers win in the end?

Thank you very much for taking the time for my crazy little interview Gerry!!! :D Best of luck to you in all your endeavors!

No comments:

Post a Comment