Friday, January 30, 2015

Author Spotlight: Heidi Angell

heidiangell pic
Author Heidi Angell
Heidi comes to us from the land of Google+. Well, that’s where I met her and drew her into my dark embrace. ~laughs maniacally~
She graces me with patience and answers my 10 lovely questions!
10 Questions, Zoe style…
1. What is your writing process?
My writing process is different for every book, lending to the telling of that specific story. That being said, I usually have at least a good outline in my mind before starting. to write the actual scenes. I am a very linear thinker and will than write from beginning to end, weaving the ideas in my head onto the page.
2. What do you read for pleasure?
I am a very eclectic reader, though I tend to gravitate to sci-fi and fantasy. I also enjoy anthropological and historical fiction, mysteries and thrillers. Really for me the genre is not as relevant as the individual story.
3. What is the greatest joy of writing for you?
Exploration. Exploration of the human condition, new worlds, alternate realities and how those things affect the way people would react.
4. Can you tell us a little about yourself?
I was a geek before geek was chic. I have a fascination with the weird and unique. I am an entertainment junkie who also loves hiking and spending time with my husband and two boys.
5. What are your strengths and weaknesses when it comes down to sitting down and writing?
I always struggle to find time! Balance is a huge struggle for me. If I had my way I would write morning noon and night, but there is so much more to being an author and I am still working to find the balances. My greatest strength (and weakness) is that when I sit down to write I get completely involved and the real world melts away.
6. Do you have any strange writing habits?
I am a “bulk” writer. I tried and tried to follow the advice of making time to write every day, but then the house didn’t get cleaned and dinner didn’t get made. As part of my effort for balance, I dedicate huge blocks on the weekend to writing and spend the “little time” during the week to marketing, promoting, editing and those things that don’t wholly absorb my focus and leave my crew wondering if I will ever come out of the woodwork to feed them!
7. What is your least favorite part of the publishing / writing process?
hmm…. This is hard, because I love it all. I think that is why I have chosen to self-publish. I did hate submitting to agents and publishers so I stopped doing that. I guess my least favorite (and mind you, I do enjoy a lot of it) is marketing. The hardest thing is feeling like an attention seeker. I was never the type to want to draw attention to myself. Finding a creative way to market without feeling like I was just screaming “Pick me, pick me!!” has been an interesting challenge.
8. Are you a person who makes their bed in the morning, or do you not see much point?
Before I got married and had kids, I made an effort. In the last 12 years that has ended. Ironically, I do make my bed before going to bed each night.
9. Where is one place you want to visit that you haven’t been before?
Just one…. hmm… Ireland
10. Choose: Vampires, Werewolves, Demons or Zombies?
All! Wait, being one or killing them?
Bonus Question: How prepared are you for the Zombie Apocalypse I’ve ordered?
This is a game we play in my house. When my boys were little and wouldn’t listen I would say. “If you did that in the Zombie Apocalypse, we would all be dead!” Some people thought that was messed up, but my kids had no clue what zombies were. As they’ve gotten older, they’ve been introduced to Scooby Doo’s Zombie Island, Zombie Munchkin, Max Brooks Zombie Survivor Guide, and recently Day-Z, now when I say it they think it is hysterical. They are constantly asking “what if this happened in a Zombie Apocalypse, what would you do?” They keep bugging me to watch Walking Dead, but I don’t think they are quite ready for that. But ready for the Zombie Apocalypse, you’d better believe it!
You can find Heidi’s works on Amazon! Just click the pics!
Angel's Dance Elements of a Broken Mind
The Hunters

No comments:

Post a Comment