Monday, November 10, 2014

NaBloPoMo Day Ten: Siblings





I have 3 siblings. An older sister, a younger brother and a younger sister. My older sister and I are closest in age, with just a 3 year difference between us.

Our home, playground, school, etc. was a battlefield. We fought, we wrestled, we pulled hair, slapped, pinched, punched, poked, bit...total war zone.

Today, we are very close. I lovingly refer to her as 'the hag' or 'the cougar' and she has a plethora of pet names for me.

My younger siblings and I share a very different sort of relationship. I am assuming its because they are so much younger than me. There is a ...hhmm..I think 13/14 year difference between me and my brother, 16 year difference between my little sister.
I was 'the built-in babysitter'. I dreaded it. Maybe its were my dislike for children comes from.

We are all very close though.

My older sister is the typical older sister. She picks on us all, but also steps up as a mother figure and caregiver when needed.

My little brother is the army man. He takes after my dad. The military is his career. He jumps out of airplanes, pushes his troopers out, and laughs all the way down. He's seen plenty of war action, has been a drill sargeant and a bodyguard. He loves his career.

My little sister is the embodiment of motherhood. She has two lovely daughters that she devotes all her time to, as well as being closest in proximity to my parents.

Me? I'm that 'weird' child in the family. Yes, I was the 'black sheep'. I never minded though. I knew my parents loved me, and my eccentricities. I always did my own thing, never liked 'family gatherings' and tried avoiding 'pictures' as much as possible.

Now that we are all grown up, I am the favorite of all my nieces and nephews. Maybe its because of my eccentricities. The purple hair, the tattoos, the off-beat style, the obsession with horror, voodoo and swords. And I'm an artist and writer. My adult aged nephews cant wait to read my book, and one is considering writing himself.

My siblings and I have come a long way. My older sister is a confidant instead of a warlord now. Though, I will admit I still get a thrill in terrorizing/shocking my younger siblings and all my nieces and nephews.

We are all spread out all over the world. Its a bummer, but it is what it is, and we are all following our own paths. We still manage to keep in touch, and be part of one anothers lives, and family lives.

My older sister, the hag, well, despite the epic battles of our youth, we are closer than ever.

I can still take her down in a brawl though. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment